Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SoLV and the Assurance Package

Fort Member

SoLV and the Assurance Package

Mods, I would put this in the Vender Review section however I don't have the ability to create a thread there.

Recently, I traded in my STi for a BRZ. When buying the car, I was talked into buying the assurance package. That all seemed like a reasonable idea at the time. I have since decided that it is overpriced, especially for the service received so far. If you add up the parts that they put on the car from the beginning (brake light pulse, some poorly laid 3M paint protection) and then what will be received, they are making out quite handsomely but that's not my huge issue.

I had an appointment for 10am and was told to be there early because the alarm stuff (not included in the assurance package and cost extra) would be set up immediately and then I'd head to tint. I'm glad I got there at 940-9-45 because the guy didn't show up until just before 11am. This meant I was late to get tint.

On to the real problem. They include window tint with this deal. While dropping off my car I asked about upgrading from the cheap tint to ceramic or nano tint as well as tinting the windshield. I realized I would have to pay extra for this. However, the car has THREE real windows and the $120 just to upgrade to ceramic is just high for the minimal material required. I paid just over $200 to have my STi tinted with ceramic and that has 2 more large windows. The math just doesn't add up when this is merely an "upgrade". At this point, I'm pretty much stuck with this place since SoLV contracted to them. I got the whole "industry leading tint" routine that you get whenever you go to a reputable tint place but again, the price I paid for my STi. The clear windshield tint was overpriced but it wasn't too exaggerated at least. They did however give me 10% so I did save a couple bucks off but that's after some pressure. After all the work is complete, which took all day due to the early alarm issues that screwed the time table up, I find that the car has a check engine light. I'm dumbfounded that there is a CEL after tint and lose track of the actual tint installation. I go back in and ask about the CEL and even they're installer said that it wasn't there while he had it. After calling SoLV, they asked me to drive over.

To SoLV I go! I get there and the CEL couldn't be reset so I have to leave the car there over night. While Brandy (service) was pulling the code, I actually stop to look at the tint job. I realize that they scratched the trunk and the roof. The roof? How? I find Kristina (Customer Care) and let her know about this additional issue and she says that it'll be handled before the CEL issue is fixed.

After getting the call today to go pick up the car and I head back. The CEL is gone now and turned out to be connected to the alarm install. I tried to look over the spots where the scratches were. The glare of the sun and all the polishing compound that wasn't cleared off, it was hard to see much. I bring the car home, pull it in the garage, grab a microfiber towel and wipe the car down. The trunk looks great now however there are some nice little scratches on the roof that definitely seem to be into the clear coat.

I have to say, Brandy did a great job of trying to take car of me even though I was more than furious when I showed up to the dealership. She walked out as I pulled up and read the code immediately. She quickly had me set up with a loaner car as soon as it was figured out that the code would not stay cleared. For as mad as I was about the day, she did an excellent job.

I really feel bad because I talked a friend into Subaru's and he had a less then great experience buying his car there as well.

SUMMARY:
    Don't buy the Assurance Package. It's going to take a lot of oil changes for this to even out.
    In: 2013 BRZ
    Out: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2008 STi

Fort Member
    no clue how tint can result in scratches on the roof. I don't do tint but have watched the entire process on a few of my cars, as many of us have. only place their blades touch is the outline of the windows they're sizing up the tint for. the roof? I don't get it.

Seems like some one used his roof as a table for what ever at the tint place.

You don't get famous by doing pussy shit! - me

Been around
    ^^^^ this... a lazy and/ or sloppy installer.

... I think his name is mark, salesman, does he still work there?

SoLV and the Assurance Package

Balls. Hopefully they take care of all this. Agreed the "assurance package" is over priced and not needed. When I want to buy my WRX there the guy kept going on and on about it. Also saying i wouldn't be able to buy the car without the Pulse system brake light with I can't stand. Didn't make sense. So instead because he was rude to my wife when she asked a few questions we left and bought the car in Long Beach over email and phone calls in less than 48hrs after leaving SoLV and picked it up that weekend for less than what Vegas was going for.

Fort Member
    I told them no on the assurance package but still got the pulse cause they can't take it off. Also subaru gives you 2 year oil change package regardless. Worked out for me but the assurance is bogus.
    "when it doubt, spool"

Fort Member
    I have absolutely no idea how the roof got scratched other than putting tools down on it. I'm pretty sure the alarm install didn't do it because I saw everything sitting on the ground next to the car and never on it. I didn't see any part of the tint install.
    In: 2013 BRZ
    Out: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2008 STi

Yeah they told me there's no way to NOT have the Pulse brake light. My Wife said well you put it on so either give me a car that doesn't have it or figure out how to take it off. That's when o'l boy starting being rude so we dipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    Yeah they told me there's no way to NOT have the Pulse brake light. My Wife said well you put it on so either give me a car that doesn't have it or figure out how to take it off. That's when o'l boy starting being rude so we dipped out.
    Good wife!
    Semper Fidelis

Well since dealerships can't sell the paint protection. They gotta sell somethjng else that is equally worthless. I also told a dealer that I would not be paying for shit I did not ask to be put on the car. Maybe its just me. But they didn't make me pay for it