Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So You want to Track your Car? (Food For thought)

So You want to Track your Car? (Food For thought)

If you are like me you love Auto Sports and have imagined driving on a track and testing yourself and the limits of you vehicle... I though I would throw some thoughts out there and some lesson learned since I stated playing around with SCCA and track events.

SCCA Auto Cross: In a word (FUN), however there are some drawbacks... Waiting.. There is a lot of waiting around unless you are lucky enough to get into the first run group. While the first run group is driving you are sweating your nuts off in the hot sun working the course... Oh and contrary to popular belief according to the rules you are required to report for you work detail or you could be banned. This is the sticking point with me be cause most of the fist running group do their laps and then bolt. This is not only uncool but is also and asshole maneuver. It makes the second run group have to wait even longer to get their laps on the track. I want to give a shout out To Thomas Smith this guy can out drive most everyone out there and he still hangs out and does his work detail. Props to you Thomas your a true sportsman. Anyway there is also the cost associated with SCCA. The National dues are about 80 Bucks annually if you military you get a rebate so that cost comes down. Some Regions have Dues as well to my knowledge LVRSCCA does not. Each Auto Cross has an associated cost as well. The Cost for a non member to Auto Cross is 50 bucks for a member it is 35. Honestly I am not even sure what the money is for all they do is put some cones out and have some basic timing gear. They are racking in some cash if you calculate it out last event there was like 30 cars that means they are pulling anywhere from $1050 to $1500 dollars per event... Where does that money go??? Honestly the event's are fun but I think I am getting robbed a bit lol.

Insurance: Contrary to popular belief your insurance more then likely doesn't cover SCCA autocross or any other race type event. I love my car and I have spent a nice chunk of change modifying it and making it into make it something special. So that means you should be getting some kind of additional insurance to RACE. HPDE or High Performance Driver Education insurance is the best way to go if you are contemplating a track day and you want to protect your baby. There are a number of companies in the business but I went to ontrackinsurance.com and it seemed fairly reasonable at $170. Something to know about this insurance. It's short term and only lasts the race weekend. Also this company and most other companies have a 10% of the value of the vehicle deductible. My car is worth about $14,000 so if I wreck it I have to pay $1400.
    You could just not get the insurance but who wants to take a chance like that. You have spent thousands of dollars modifying and to not have the price of the car and your mods covered seems dumb, for me the 170 bucks is worth the piece of mind.

Track weekend Costs: Racing is an expensive hobby. So let me break down the cost of this upcoming race weekend at subiefest that I have already paid for. 170 Dollars for insurance 260 dollars for registration with a driving instructor, 50 bucks for subiefest Tickets 160 bucks for the hotel room. total cost for subiesfest minus food and gas $625.00 bucks just to race one day.

I am learning as a go but here are some references that you can use if you are thinking about tracking your ride.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Begin..._to_track_days
    http://www.scca.com
    http://www.ontrackinsurance.com

I hope this write up helps folks who are thinking about tracking their ride. If anyone else has anything to add or suggestions it would be great I would like to keep this thread going.

Thanks for reading.

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Very nice post Rob.

Thanks for the input. I didnt know I could get an instructor while racing. Definitely gonna look into that.

Fort Member
    you shouldn't need extra insurance for AX. unless you're worried about hitting a cone and it doing massive damage to your car. Now SCCA hill climbs. that's another story. lots of damage can be had there. That's not a bad price to insure for the weekend track event, given the risk. if you roll the car or something like that.

So You want to Track your Car? (Food For thought)

More like $170 up front AND 10% cost of vehicle if shit happens.... No doubt auto racing is an expensive hobby, especially if its your DD as well. I used to off-road my daily driver Nissan Xterra with about 5g's invested over time from coilovers to full replacement steel bumpers with a winch. Shit ain't cheap and when your tossing your vehicle around it gets even more expensive.
    Last edited by matsayz; 08-20-2013 at 11:23 PM.

Events Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    More like $170 up front AND 10% cost of vehicle if shit happens.... No doubt auto racing is an expensive hobby, especially if its your DD as well. I used to off-road my daily driver Nissan Xterra with about 5g's invested over time from coilovers to full replacement steel bumpers with a winch. Shit ain't cheap and when your tossing your vehicle around it gets even more expensive.
    ^It's not dat life we chose. It's dat life that chose us!

Pca is also a good club to go and try out your skills. They are well organized and all mature crowd with $$$ cars so u don't have to worry about punk kids and their Hondas with high levels of testorone and low levels of skill.

Pca?

Been around
    do a hpde, spend a little more money but drive all day on a real track and dont have to "work".

Vendor
    Good write up Cruz.

Could also include track day specific brake pads and tires if you start getting serious. Spares are key in motorsports!

Quote Originally Posted by 03flat4 View Post
    you shouldn't need extra insurance for AX. unless you're worried about hitting a cone and it doing massive damage to your car.
    Depends on the course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BB-KBaevPqM