Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Honda Fit's valve clearance...

Fort Member

My Honda Fit's valve clearance...

The Fit recommends getting valve clearance looked at at 105k, but knowing that Fit's have a reputation for going out of spec, or even coming from the factory out of spec, I decided to get it done a little early(at 90k), because it seems to be having a rough idle after the car completely warms up and runs for a while. And I'd rather do the adjustment now just in case, to avoid burnt valves or what not in the future if they are out of spec. Thing is, I asked them to give me the pre and post specs. looks like I got pre only since I got 16 #s for 16 valves. good enough i guess.

Look at these #s..they look pretty bad don't they? looks like every intake valve is out of spec, and the Exhaust side is much better, but partly out of spec.
    I read before that the intake valves should be set at the loose end of the specs, and exhaust at the tight end of spec, because the intake clearance tends to get smaller over time, and exhaust tends to get bigger over time. is this true? partly true?
    I'm glad I don't have to worry about this stuff with the scoob. Then again I'm also happy the Fit has a timing chain as well...win some you lose some.

*ok it looks like I can't format it so they line up...so you can just quote this if it's hard to read my columns.
    Spec : Intake : .006 - .007
    Exhaust : .010 - .012

Cylinder Intake Exhaust
    1 .011 .012
    .010 .007
    3 .013 .012
    .010 .011
    4 .011 .010
    .011 .013
    2 .012 .010
    .012 .011

Fort Member
    correctly oriented pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 03flat4; 09-05-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Nope, leaving it all there just so it bugs you. Lol.

Fort Member
    lol ok

Flat4 Graphic Design Ninja LuisP's Avatar

My Honda Fit's valve clearance...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrx07 View Post
    Nope, leaving it all there just so it bugs you. Lol.
    Brutal.

03flat4: I have a Fit too (2010) and now you just made me paranoid…

Fort Member
    how many miles on it? Is your car one of the Fits that was in the Valve spring recall? I saw that while reading up on my issue.

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Deleted sir.

Fort Member
    that's not that bad at all, I have seen a Honda run one/ two teeth of on the cam timing. drives a bit funny, but still really drivable.

Fort Member
    Well some of mine do look almost a 10th off. But def a good time to git r done u think? Also should this help with mpg and whatever else? Seems like it is running smoother but that's just my subjective feeling.

Flat4 Graphic Design Ninja LuisP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03flat4 View Post
    how many miles on it? Is your car one of the Fits that was in the Valve spring recall? I saw that while reading up on my issue.
    About 20+K on it. Thankfully our Fit wasn't part of the valve spring recall. On a side note, Hondas seem to have power window/lock issues, ours kept locking/unlocking or sometimes not locking randomly and Honda West has replaced the unit twice already. Hopefully the last fix did it as it hasn't come back—only now a new one cropped up: auto-up window goes halfway and then goes back down. 'Tard.