Thread: Electrical Q's

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    I remember when you got that harness
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

New question: Circuit breakers.

I've got fusible links in the brat, and I would like to replace them with circuit breakers. Seems like all the automotive ones are automatically resetting breakers, which is cool. Other than the amperage rating, are all things pretty much equal when selecting a breaker to use?

Looking at: http://www.optifuse.com/cirbreakType1.php

There are blade types and mountable units. But other than those superficial things, should I be considering anything for a breaker besides amperage?
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)

Amperage would be the same even if voltage and resistance would change in the circuit where if the voltage and resistance equals the amperage. So If all things operating in the circuit will only pull say 20 amps max you are good with a 25 amp fuse

Also just get appropriate size for duty of wire. Like don't get a fuse that can accommodate a 1/0 wire to handle 50 amps

Amperage is definitely the main consideration, but also blow time.... some breakers won't blow until above a certain amperage for say 3 seconds. (sloblow) others are an almost instantaneous blow. which can have an issue when turning on lights etc. because the instantaneous amperage may be more than the constant. due to start loads.

I know your pain with Fusible links though, which is why i'm going with the GC Distribution block in my Leone.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    Amperage is definitely the main consideration, but also blow time.... some breakers won't blow until above a certain amperage for say 3 seconds. (sloblow) others are an almost instantaneous blow. which can have an issue when turning on lights etc. because the instantaneous amperage may be more than the constant. due to start loads.

I know your pain with Fusible links though, which is why i'm going with the GC Distribution block in my Leone.
    When I bought it he car, it had the stock links from 79 still in it. Wires were a mess. I remade the links with the existing plugs but I don't trust them. Not that the wires don't melt, I'd just rather do without them all together. It would seem to be breakers would be the best thing, no fuses to replace, ever. Blow time is good too. Thanks for recommending that.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)