Thread: 07 WRX Won't Start

07 WRX Won't Start

Hey guys, havent been here for awhile... so long in fact that I had to remake my name whenever the board changed over.

Quick Summary: I don't drive this car as often as I used to. It sits for 6 days of the week, but the car ran fine yesterday. Tried to start it up today and it wont turn over. I can hear it cranking a little but successive tries and it will stop and go dead silent. All lights are on, I checked the battery and cleaned the terminals, then I tried to jumpstart it and no difference. On one start I did hear a fast clicking noise and lights flickered but I could not duplicate it.

I checked in the clutch area and everything looks normal, I tried to do the 3 key turns trick and nothing, I hear a small click noise when I turn the key to on position by the glove compartment but I'm pretty sure thats normal. I don't smell any fuel from the exhaust or engine bay.

Car has 70k miles on it. If anyone could please help that would be awesome. I'm also including a small video so you can hear the noises.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=video%2c.mp4

Also I have limited tools and the car is outside, but I can go get some if needed. Or if any local mechanic can help I would be willing to tow (and pay you) of course.

Gotta be the battery or starter. You could push start it.

Quote Originally Posted by cain View Post
    Gotta be the battery or starter. You could push start it.
    Thx for quick reply, I can change the battery, I just thought that after a jumpstart and all the lights being on it wouldn't be that. It has a DieHard Gold in it thats about 5 years old.

Battery sitting will go bad. Pull the battery and go get it tested at Auto Zone.

if all the lights dimm when trying to start. then it's likely a battery. if it's just ticking, all the lights stay fine, then it's more likely the starter.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Sometimes when you jump start it - its possible to not make a solid connection so in the end you aren't even jumping it - worth making sure its really connected well.

However I'm leaning towards starter not happy here. Can you hear your fuel pump with the key on the "on" position?

Be worth it to check the grounds around the starter and did you happen to check your fuses?