Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel brake lines

Stainless steel brake lines

Do they really have an improvement over stock sti brake lines? I know some people swear it but I feel it would hardly be a major different if any. Or do stock brake lines age and wear pretty bad to where it would be a good long investment m?
    Reliability, low price, performance. Pick any two

Hayden Evans. 07 Subaru STI
    -5150STI

Everywhere I've read, people have said it improves brake response and since you'll be flushing your brake fluid also (has it ever been done in your car?) you should feel a nice difference. I also see a lot of people pairing it with a master cylinder brace to add even more stability. To be honest it will be my next mod once I get a chance.
    There's an old sayin' in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, it's probably in Tennessee, that says, "Fool me once.....shame on.......shame on you...................... You fool me but can't get fooled again!" -- George W. Bush

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    Key to any brake system is the elimination of air in the lines. Stock and braided lines both will have poor-sub par performance with air in the lines. Given that all air is removed, you will feel a stiffer pedal with stainless lines, due to less flex. It's noticeable, at least to me.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

Hmmm alright. Yeah and I've flushed my break fluid before. I was just wondering if I should throw some on when I do my coilovers

-5150STI

Sarge nailed it!

You don't get famous by doing pussy shit! - me

I feel that the Stainless braided lines are mainly for the High temperatures seen while racing.

when during normal driving, the lines would rarely get hot, and have the ability to swell, But if you heat the fluid through heavy braking enough, part of the "brake fade" is through boiling fluid (changing the brake fluid from incompressible to a compressible state of matter) and through Swelling rubber lines.

the stainless braid swells MUCH less than the cloth braided rubber line at high temperatures.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Fort Member
    I'd like to say yes, but the truth of the matter is that a lot of people change to SS lines AND pads at the same time and it's hard to say if it's the pads or the SS lines that made the difference. Having said that, changing to Hawk HPS or axxis ultimate pads and SS lines will make a HUGE difference in brake feel and I highly recommend it.

Are SS brake lines a good idea on a DD? Not really needed as the OEM lines will perform very well even under hard braking when there is an accident in front of you. Now should you do the upgrade on the DD? If you have the time and money, then yes, it will only improve performance when you decide that you want to step out of the DD situation and start TRACKING your vehicle (track days, SCCA, etc). Should I do it to make the vehicle safer? No. It has no safety improvement on the DD situation. You would be better off changing your pads for safety long before the SS lines come into play.

That being said, since your doing the coil overs, and if you have the SS parts, I would do them at that point rather then waiting till later since you will have all the major components off.

Alright I'll have to pick some up at the same time and some pads. Any other little upgrade I could do while doing coilovers?already got a front brace

-5150STI

If you want to do sway bars, now is the time.