Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 2.5rs Manuel transmission VS WRX transmission.

O crap man... just when I think thinks couldn't get any worse... I was really hoping that these were 02-05 wrx gears to. I sent these photos to rallispec and they told me they look to be 02-05 wrx gears thats why I ordered them.... damn this sucks!

it doesn't suck... Really most of them are the gears I'd Rather run in any transmission.

if you need/want. I could assemble a transmission with this gears to put into your bugeye.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

What mods would I have to do to make that work? Plus I just ordered a whole 99-05 complete synchro set and 03 wrx rebuild kit from rallispec.com so that's the part the sucks I'm gonna see if I can cancel my order hopefully they haven't shipped the order yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    it doesn't suck... Really most of them are the gears I'd Rather run in any transmission.

if you need/want. I could assemble a transmission with this gears to put into your bugeye.
    Also on my tranny my first gear is what went out, since you mentioned that the first gear on this set is from 02-05 could I possibly just switch that gear over? The only thing is it went out on the mainshaft I believe, so would the mainshaft from this set work with my gears that I have in the 03 tranny?

That's how the tranny looks right now...

Personally I would swap both of them, input and 1/2 driven gears. I don't trust gears after they've had other gears blow up on them.

But that's a solution. Just use the 1/2 from that new set and sell off (to me? LOL) the 3-5 gears.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Personally I would swap both of them, input and 1/2 driven gears. I don't trust gears after they've had other gears blow up on them.

But that's a solution. Just use the 1/2 from that new set and sell off (to me? LOL) the 3-5 gears.
    so the input shaft from the new gearset would work in my tranny right now? Are they identical? And honestly bro yeah I wouldn't mind selling the rest of the gears to you. I just want the car running at the cheapest possible method right now. Besides I plan on doing a sti swap later in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 1SIKWRX View Post
    so the input shaft from the new gearset would work in my tranny right now? Are they identical? And honestly bro yeah I wouldn't mind selling the rest of the gears to you. I just want the car running at the cheapest possible method right now. Besides I plan on doing a sti swap later in the future.
    Yeah the input shafts should be interchangeable, long as you use the right ratio and synchro type driven gears.

so... to recap.
    DO NOT use that 1st gear driven (the largest gear in the transmission) that is currently in the transmission. it likely has microcracks from banging all over the broken input shaft.

and I'd suggest not using the 2nd gear driven, but that's up to you.
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Yeah the input shafts should be interchangeable, long as you use the right ratio and synchro type driven gears.

so... to recap.
    DO NOT use that 1st gear driven (the largest gear in the transmission) that is currently in the transmission. it likely has microcracks from banging all over the broken input shaft.

Okay I'll go that route then any other tips? I also got these parts for the rebuild as well.

http://rallispec.com/gea_rep_rst1118.html

http://rallispec.com/gea_rep_syn5mt.html

You think I'll be good with that? I got new 1st to 5th synchros and the 03 gasket and seal rebuild kit.

so... to recap.

Well the gears just came in today. Looks like you we're right apparently from 2-5th all the gears look like they come from the same gearbox as for 1st clearly looks to be different from the rest of the gears so I'm guessing instead of switching 1st-2nd gear I'll only be able to switch just 1st gear... with the input shaft right? Or would second work to?