Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2004 2.5rs Manuel transmission VS WRX transmission.

Second should work just fine as well.... Though I'd inspect that input shaft thoroughly. If only one gear is new it's likely they blew up first in the same manner you blew second. Somehow it saved the input shaft instead. You don't want to go through all the trouble of installing just to have the input shaft toss a tooth.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    Second should work just fine as well.... Though I'd inspect that input shaft thoroughly. If only one gear is new it's likely they blew up first in the same manner you blew second. Somehow it saved the input shaft instead. You don't want to go through all the trouble of installing just to have the input shaft toss a tooth.
    Okay thanks for the heads up

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    the bad news.. you will likely need to get an 06 WRX 3/4 shifter fork. as the double cone setup moves the slider back slightly. if you don't you will always be popping out of 4th gear, and prematurely wearing out 3rd gear synchro.
    Well....... Unfortunately this is a thread that I was really hoping I would never have to bump from the dead..... long story short I was cruising on the highway on my way to work and when I shifted into 4th gear I heard and felt my gearbox grind to hell. So took out the tranny opened it up and sure enough my 4th gear is now obliterated. I'm guessing it probably had micro cracks from gear pieces the first time the tranny went out. So once again I'm looking at repairing this paper weight at the cheapest possible method right now. My question is will 06 wrx gear sets on the shafts install into my 03 wrx transmission without issue? Or will other things be needed to install them like mentioned above? Because I know when you made that comment it was in regards to installing a mix and match set of gears so I'm not sure if what was mentioned above about the shifter fork was only for that scenario or in general. Thanks in advance.