Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2004 2.5rs Manuel transmission VS WRX transmission.

2004 2.5rs Manuel transmission VS WRX transmission.

Before I start sorry if I posted in the wrong section I'm not sure. But my question is if their is a difference between the 2.5rs 5speed vs the wrx 5speed I can't seem to find this answer anywhere. I even called Andrewtech automotive but they didn't know if their was a difference or not. Anybody know?

I think the gears in the rs were made out of saltines and the ones in the wrx are much stronger glass

Quote Originally Posted by Vegasti06 View Post
    I think the gears in the rs were made out of saltines and the ones in the wrx are much stronger glass
    Hahaha!!! I agree man I have a 2003 wrx and the tranny went out so now I'm trying to swap in another tranny but I just found out its from a 04 outback or ts but before I buy it I want to make sure it will work. So I should rephrase my question will a 2004 outback ts 5speed work in my 03 wrx straight drag and drop? Also are those gears equivalent in strength when compared to the wrx? Lol saltines

5 days old but...
    http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...smission+Chart

in the end it is all about the code labeled on the transmission. i'm pretty sure the gear ratios wont match. 03 wrx and foresters typically use a different ratio.

besides you don't want a 02-03 wrx transmission, they were the worst of the bunch. a 04 + had stronger gears.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinru View Post
    5 days old but...
    http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...smission+Chart

in the end it is all about the code labeled on the transmission. i'm pretty sure the gear ratios wont match. 03 wrx and foresters typically use a different ratio.

besides you don't want a 02-03 wrx transmission, they were the worst of the bunch. a 04 + had stronger gears.
    Thanks for the help man appreciate it, but instead of going with another tranny I'm just rebuilding the one I got. My 1st gear was obliterated when I opened up the tranny. I found a guy that sold me a whole set of 1st to 5th stock wrx gears. Their from 02-05 not sure what year exactly though. I'm going to also replace all the synchros well I'm at it because my old ones where going out to.

post a pic and I can probably ID the gears for you

that said. NA gears are narrow, and not so very good to hold power.
    along with that the 2.5i/rs transmissions had different final drives/clutches/center differentials than the WRX versions.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    post a pic and I can probably ID the gears for you

that said. NA gears are narrow, and not so very good to hold power.
    along with that the 2.5i/rs transmissions had different final drives/clutches/center differentials than the WRX versions.
    I tried to post the pics of them but it wasn't letting me for some reason. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do this but here's a link with photos of them:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2575433

Just your luck..... apparently nasticock is down.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    Just your luck..... apparently nasticock is down.
    Wow it was just working before I posted it lame...

Well, at first glance, i thought it was an 06 set....

but now i'm thinking it's a mishmash of sets.

it's looking like 1st gear driven (the biggest single gear) is from an 03-05 WRX.
    the rest look like they are an 06 WRX.

the reasoning for this. 1st gear is a single cone setup... it also looks like it's never been run. whereas the other gears all look like they've been run
    and 3rd gear is a double cone synchro setup.

but every transmission stock with single cone first was also single cone third.

the good news here is... you have the stronger set (so it would seem)

the bad news.. you will likely need to get an 06 WRX 3/4 shifter fork. as the double cone setup moves the slider back slightly. if you don't you will always be popping out of 4th gear, and prematurely wearing out 3rd gear synchro.

other potential bad news... I've never mixed/matched the older 1st gear (single cone) with the newer 2nd gear (double cone, revised synchros). so it may, or may not work with your shift slider collar.
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal