Thread: COBB SF intake vs AEM CAI

COBB SF intake vs AEM CAI

I have been told from a reputable source that the COBB SF intake w/ airbox does not fare well in the Las Vegas heat, since the airbox itself heats up under the hood and causes high temps. The AEM CAI was recommended instead.

Now, does anyone here in LV have the COBB intake installed? Any issues with the heat during summer?

And does anyone have the AEM CAI? How is that doing with it being low hanging compared to a SRI? Also, how is the sound? One of the things that made the COBB intake alluring was the aggressive sound.

Thanks..
    >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

I have the cobb.. I don't have any problems but I have noticed the box does get hot. . The intake sits inside the box so idk if it affects the temps that much since it's supposed to keep the heat from motor and cold air from outside separate.

I plan on switching to perrin only cuz I also want the perrin fmic though.

i like the cobb intake cuz it works with the cobb accessport map

The AEM works with the ap too... I have the AEM. Heard not so great things about the Cobb intake.

I have the Cobb SF intake with the box and while the outside of the box does heat up, the air inside is much cooler and the box allows the utilization of the ram air duct on our cars and I love that. That ram air duct actually does work and does provide much cooler intake temperatures (as long as you're moving of course). I've heard good and bad things about both and it comes down to preference and future plans. The Cobb does have a more aggressive sound. I've never had any issues with my Cobb intake and really like it. If you plan on going to a FMIC soon, I wouldn't get the Cobb.
    Check out JDMFanaticVinyls.com for all of your vinyl needs!
    2015 WRX/STI overlays and more!
    USE PROMO CODE DCAMPER FOR 15% OFF ENTIRE WEBSITE!

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Noatter which one you use, make sure to tune for it. This is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrx07 View Post
    Noatter which one you use, make sure to tune for it. This is a must.
    Is there an intake out there I can install on my 16' WRX that wont require tuning so my warranty won't be at risk. Thanks.

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eyenico View Post
    Is there an intake out there I can install on my 16' WRX that wont require tuning so my warranty won't be at risk. Thanks.
    Any time you modify your car's power plant you should, in theory, tune the vehicle for it. Subaru ECUs are not very adaptable to increases in power without the ECU expecting new values. So the short answer is, no, there is no intake you can install without tuning. There's a lot of debate about the effectiveness of intakes, anyway. I'm of the opinion you'd be better off spending your money on a larger intercooler to reduce intake temps. You will net better gains from this than an intake, as you are cooling the superheated air post turbo rather than pre-turbo.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))