Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BRZ May(or may not) get the axe

Fort Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper702 View Post
    Sure it may have declined but I'm sure an STI version or turbo would have had it higher than ever. Plus I'm sure they're still selling well (at least the FRS).
    I'd agree with the STi comment. If this thing pushed high 200's for hp it would still be selling like crazy.

I don't know exactly how bad but I've seen sales numbers that show a definitely decline. Resale prices are dropping pretty quick too.
    In: 2013 BRZ
    Out: 2002 WRX Sedan, 2008 STi

Quote Originally Posted by Colombo View Post
    I'd agree with the STi comment. If this thing pushed high 200's for hp it would still be selling like crazy.

I don't know exactly how bad but I've seen sales numbers that show a definitely decline. Resale prices are dropping pretty quick too.
    I think a turbo with 240-260hp would have been perfect for it. Don't touch STI numbers but still a huge jump in power. If were to out that in the mid model refresh, I'm sure sales would skyrocket again.

Fort Member
    I think a turbo with 240-260hp would have been perfect for it. Don't touch STI numbers but still a huge jump in power. If were to out that in the mid model refresh, I'm sure sales would skyrocket again.
    I agree complete. There is a supercharger for the cars that put them around that power range. Everyone that has one has described it as "the way the car should have been" when talking about the power levels.

A turbo or supercharger would of made a world of difference. I see 10 FRS's for every 1 BRZ on the street. So it doesn't surprise me that Subaru is thinking of giving it the ax.
    Knowledge is true POWER!!!

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Wicked Sti View Post
    A turbo or supercharger would of made a world of difference. I see 10 FRS's for every 1 BRZ on the street. So it doesn't surprise me that Subaru is thinking of giving it the ax.
    Subaru only released the BRZ in limited numbers.

Then that would explain why.

Fort Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Wicked Sti View Post
    That was planned that way. They only produced 1 BRZ for every 7 or 8 FRS's. If Subaru loses the joint venture with Toyota then the car will definitely be too expensive for them to produce as it's the only thing using the chassis. Producing the Toyota's as well at least makes the BRZ viable to produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Colombo View Post
    That was planned that way. They only produced 1 BRZ for every 7 or 8 FRS's. If Subaru loses the joint venture with Toyota then the car will definitely be too expensive for them to produce as it's the only thing using the chassis. Producing the Toyota's as well at least makes the BRZ viable to produce.
    I see... well we will see what happens.

Licensed muff diver Almost a Ghost's Avatar
    Sure it may have declined but I'm sure an STI version or turbo would have had it higher than ever. Plus I'm sure they're still selling well (at least the FRS).
    I disagree. While I'm sure they would of managed to roll more 86 siblings off the assembly, it wouldn't cover the cost of development, production and the hurdles & red tape of getting the car to market.

You have to remember that these companies are always willing to turn a profit, if their number crunchers and engineers could of gotten a more powerful car to market and be in the black after a certain amount of time they would of done so. Sports cars, especially very small ones, have always been the low sellers in a brand.

I'm sure Subaru/FHI has bigger things to worry about. One being is getting a new 7 seater SUV. Ridiculously, that's what people want in North America otherwise we would have the Exiga (even if it was Outback'd). Which according to reports from last year, is where they are focusing.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to base the around around the 4 cyl 2.0 engine. They should of brought back the 3.0 H6, MPG be damned, and they could of had a base model with a 2.0. Granted a turbo car is better for aftermarket, but the design of the car never favored any of Subaru's turbo setups.
    You should learn Wing Chun Kung Fu! Private message me for training.

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    I agree with the above. 2.0 turbo or the EZ30 would have been pretty sweet. I could see some fun EZ30 single or twin turbo kits making that car insanely fun.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))