Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Tracker

GPS Tracker

So, This has spawned from my car being stolen. and recovered.

I had been playing with a GPS Logger in my RS for AutoX purposes, and it happened to be in the car while it was stolen. When i got the car back, it was still there, and was able to tell me for at least a few days where the car had been.

this has given me the idea to add a GSM (cell phone) board to the microcontroller, and make it Accessible Remotely (through SMS). So, I'm working on that at the moment.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

but, as it goes. I plan on posting my code here once it's done. and will be willing to help anyone who wants to use it with buying, building, and flashing their Microcontroller.

As of now the plan is to have it extremely simple. three wires from your car: Ground, Battery power, and switched power. one antenna with 2 wires that is self stick on Glass designed to be stuck on the INSIDE of the vehicle (so it can't be stolen).

how it would work: You decide you want to figure out where your car is right now. You text your SIM card # a specific Keyword that you defined while flashing the Microcontroler. if the Car is in cell service, it will recieve the text, triangulate it's position with GPS. and Respond in a text with the GPS Coordinates, the Speed of the vehicle, and the direction it is traveling. it could also respond with a few other things, if you want to take the time to program it in. (like , time driving, how long it has been shutoff, how many times the car has been started, etc. )

all in all It has cost me $250 for all my parts. though I have a few extra things, such as a relay board, an accelerometer board, etc. which you wouldn't necessarily need for a simple Cell enabled tracker.

I have a rough Sketch (arduino jargon for program) that I will be testing in the next few days, If it works I will be posting up here and sharing in the joy.

Anybody wanting to run one of these in their car can contact me and i will gladly get you a list of things to buy, and the code, as well as give instruction on how to wire it up.
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Damn dude, you do se pretty amazing shit. Good job

Flat4 Graphic Design Ninja LuisP's Avatar
    That's awesome!

Good luck, it's sounds like a cool idea.

Sounds great and I really like the smarts to come up with it but what are you going to do if you're car is stolen? Hopefully you'll call the cops and try to give them info. I hope someone doesn't plan on tracking the car themselves before calling the cops. Just saying you might want to draw up some paperwork saying you're off the hook once you sell it.

I have LoJack on my car, got it for cheap when negotiating the car. It's actually used by the cops and it has an early alert feature (if the car starts without my LoJack fob it auto alerts HQ).

I don't care for LoJack myself. But there are some other easier options out there. I have the drone on my car now where I can gps track it from my phone at any time. And it's used on Verizons network.

Quote Originally Posted by matsayz View Post
    Sounds great and I really like the smarts to come up with it but what are you going to do if you're car is stolen? Hopefully you'll call the cops and try to give them info. I hope someone doesn't plan on tracking the car themselves before calling the cops. Just saying you might want to draw up some paperwork saying you're off the hook once you sell it.

I have LoJack on my car, got it for cheap when negotiating the car. It's actually used by the cops and it has an early alert feature (if the car starts without my LoJack fob it auto alerts HQ).
    Oh definitely it would be something such as, you go outside in the morning to find your car gone... you text your car to see where it is (maybe you forgot where you parked it, or you have asshole friends who like to move it without your knowledge). If it is in fact, stolen, you call the cops. Once the cop has arrived, you text your phone again and get the current location. explain to the cop what it is and how you have that info, and ask if you can come with the police officer to the location. once you're there, the cop does his thing, you get your car back. and hopefully some asshat is going to jail for stealing your beauty.

Considering the open sourceness of the arduino platform, really all i'm offering is help in assembling your own microcontroller. if you don't understand it, don't think that it's safe, or belive i've hidden code in there to steal any sort of anything from you... you aren't required to use it. (you can also change the code yourself if you wish to do so).
    really I'm not selling anything here. I'm offering free code and assistance to those who want to do this, as I have been burned i'd like to keep others from the same fate.

Personally I do not like LoJack Either. something about paying $700 for a unit that has to be activated by someone else, and then found by the police IF they have a scanner within range (hearsay is something like 5 miles) and IF the scanner is on, and IF the cops feel like tracking said car...etc.
    and I am a fan of opensource. if you have the persistence to learn it, you can change anything.

i also like the idea that if i lend a friend(or say, your 16 yr/old son/daughter) my car, i can also tell where he is.... If i want to pay a lot for a ton of messages, i could track him the whole way, (or i'd just get a bit more powerful microcontroller, and have it log the GPS path onto an SD card, along with the SMS capability)
    "If the tires don't talk, you aren't going fast enough." "The things worth having, are worth working for(/on)"
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Fort Member

You could, yes. It's more compact. Less open source And save yourself the trouble of learning how computers work.... Likely even save a little money.

Or you could build one of these...... Or you could just ignore the thought altogether. LOL
    My Parts for sale
    My Build Journal

Licensed muff diver Almost a Ghost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    You could, yes. It's more compact. Less open source And save yourself the trouble of learning how computers work
    I think once you know what exactly 'open source' is you already understand how a computer works fairly well.

I do already see a fair number of open source projects for tracking everything from fleet vehicles to your pet. Have you looked at those yet?
    You should learn Wing Chun Kung Fu! Private message me for training.