Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint issues on my 2015 STi

Fort Member

Paint issues on my 2015 STi

A few months ago I picked up my 2015 STi Launch Edition. After I got it home I gave it a good hand wash. As I'm cleaning the car I notice several spots on the hood and trunk (I think there may be some along the passenger side also) where the paint has raised up and slightly discolored on some of these spots. It looks like either how rust bubbles up under paint (I know that is not what it is since it is brand new and the hood is aluminum) or like spots of tree sap. I scrubbed, tired a clay bar, Goo Gone and waxed the car to no avail.

Last week I drive the car 2 hrs up the road to the nearest Subaru Dealer to get the gas door fixed and start the process of getting SoA on this paint issue. Service appointment goes fine. On the way home I hit a massive swarm of Honey Bees. It sounded like driving through hail for about 1/2 of a second. This was on Thursday. Friday and Saturday we had rain and stuff so I got around to washing the car on Sunday. As I'm scrubbing all the bugs off the front of the car I start noticing spots on the car where it looks like the bug juice is not coming off. I start scrubbing the shit out of it to no avail. Looking closer at it, it appears the paint is raising up where I hit these bugs. I break out the clay bar, wax and goo gone none of which works. So now I got these sweet splatter marked spots of fucked up paint on the front of my car.

I broke out the owners manual and looked through the warranty info. There is a nice little paragraph in there that states, more or less, that they won't fix anything caused by environmental forces. Looking on NASIOC I seen numerous refusals by SOA to fix or otherwise handle paint issues and fall back on that part in the warranty. They've made themselves a nice little catch all to cover their asses. I'm supposed to send the Service Manager pictures of the paint issues since his camera was crap so he can up-channel them to SOA. I'm going to give it a shot but I know I'm fucked.

I'm really upset over all of this. I had a 2007 STi in great shape that I got rid of because of paint issues. I loved that fucking car but everytime I washed it it got worse and it made me not want to clean it because it just pissed me off. Seriously, the only reason I got rid of my 2007 was because of the paint issues and it really was not all that bad.... So I deployed back to Afghanistan one last time (civi contractor) for the sole and explicit reason of buying a new STi. I spent another 5 months away from my wife and kid in that shithole just to by a new one. I moved from Vegas and vowed to take the best care of this car so I would not run into more issues with the paint. I figured leaving the desert and babying the shit out of the paint would be ok. I wash one panel at a time, rinse the mitt every panel or more often, use two buckets dry as I go. I do everything I can and this shit happens. I baby it.

I'm expecting SOA to tell me to get bent but I'm going to try. So I'll be stuck with a car I've had for 2 months and that has 2,000mi on it with messed up paint. Sorry to bitch but I needed to vent to folks who understand the struggle. I'm really wishing I would have know something about the Focus RS and just waited for one of them. I think this is going to be my last Subaru. We'll see....

Honey Bees pre wash:

Paint issues (worse in person):

Still looks good from a distance

Welcome to Subaru paint

Quote Originally Posted by danyo View Post
    Welcome to Subaru paint
    Hey welcome! And oh yeah, it's a Subaru just drive the damn thing don't worry about the paint. SoA is going to ignore you. Join a class action lawsuit if you want resolution but it'll take forever.

Plastic dip it and call it a day. Cheap fix .. guardian on here csn possibly take care of this for you

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    You shouldn't have to plastidip a car. Hopefully soa will fix it.

Don't get too down, man. This car is well deserved and looks fantastic! If all else fails, you can save up a little and have it repainted correctly if you wanted or buy a CF hood.
    Check out JDMFanaticVinyls.com for all of your vinyl needs!
    2015 WRX/STI overlays and more!
    USE PROMO CODE DCAMPER FOR 15% OFF ENTIRE WEBSITE!

Will it buff out? Maybe have a detailer do a single stage polish on it ?

Paging Cory.

I also have an LE here in Vegas. I seen quite a few paint issues with the LE's. Dealers has repainted almost all of them, especially the trunk lids. I'm surprised the imperfections in the paint weren't noticed when they did they inspection before they had you roll out the door with it. Good luck and keep us updated

If clear bra the whole front of that car once you get it polished up