Thread: Anybody have a 13mm Square drain differential socket I can borrow?

Anybody have a 13mm Square drain differential socket I can borrow?

I've already chipped the fill plug on my rear diff using a 1/2" drive. I want to use the right tool before I totally destroy it. Anybody got one I can borrow, I just don't feel like spending $20 for a single socket. Harbor Freight does not carry the drain plug socket set anymore. If anyone's got one I can borrow please message me or email me at slammed808@yahoo.com, thanks in advance.

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    Had the same problem._. Ended up buying a new plug._. Hitting it with heat and an impact. Plug was toast buy one with external points so you can slap a wrench on it next time. Mine is dimple brand
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

Sorry I posted that from my playstation, wasn't very easy to type. But, yeah, basically those things are a bitch. Horrible design and require a special tool to remove precisely. Use a propane torch to heat up the nut. Feather the heat, just get it nice and toasty to cause some expansion of the metal and it should hopefully come out easier. Worse comes to worse you can always swap out the diff plate, or drill the plug, but definitely get a new one, especially if you're rounding out the old one.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)

HF sells them all in a set, at least the one on Sunset/Pecos did a couple months ago when I bought the set.

You're welcome to borrow mine, but bear in mind this is my 2nd set as I fully sheared off the square bit on the initial use. It was replaced for free, woot.

Hit me via PM. I'm in Henderson .

I saw HF had those at one time, but I've never seen them there.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)