Thread: Getting the most HP out of a automatic

Getting the most HP out of a automatic

Hi everyone I'm new here to the forums, I just picked up a 02 WRX but it's a automatic (stock). This car at low rpm's isn't the greatest.

Any recommendation on upgrades I could install to get better low end performance out of my auto subie?
    Nothing major cause she will be my daily drive. Any places in town I could get her tuned for a good price?

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    I think you should research different modifications so you can decide what would be best for you and your application. Saying "nothing major", to me is pretty much anything barring an engine tear down, which may or may not be in the same scope as you. The general preferred method of upgrading from scratch usually involves a replacement of the turbo-back exhaust system and a tune. I would recommend adding in a boost controller of some type also, and given that you are on a TD04, I would even go so far as to recommend a turbo upgrade. 18G would show a nice gain, and then of course you'd need supporting mods for that (injectors, fuel, etc), but again you need to decide how far you're willing to go and what you'll need to spend.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

^well put Sarge. I also have a buddy that can lay down a nice reliable tune for you once that time comes, just shoot me a PM for his number if you're interested. I daily drive my car and I've changed a good handful of parts, some suspension, some performance, all things I wanted for the drivability I desire. Definitely open up your exhaust which I'd do your up-pipe as well and correct me if I'm wrong, the up-pipe in the 02 has a cat in it that may fail at some time and destroy your turbo.
    There's an old sayin' in Tennessee, I know it's in Texas, it's probably in Tennessee, that says, "Fool me once.....shame on.......shame on you...................... You fool me but can't get fooled again!" -- George W. Bush

Well a bigger turbo certainly wont help lower rpm/lower speed performance. Lower gear ratios, torque converter are the usual mods in other automatic cars to get a more responsive car.

Now improving the intake/exhaust with a tune so the turbo engages sooner and more efficiently will help, but also with the tuner have them set up more "sporty" shifting points for the transmission.

In truth I have no idea if those changes would really make much of a difference for an automatic. Be sure to research the reliability of that transmission too - can it handle more hp or more aggressive shift points? Just how many miles on it? Changed the fluid lately?

Thanks for the helpful info guys, I'm definitely looking for small mods for now like the intake, exhaust, and tune. SubimashinTime ill take you up on your friends tune in the future. I recently finish supercharging my Z with all the bells and whistles.

Honestly I'm kind of digging the WRX a little more at this point but not to thrilled about the whole automatic thing. Ill probably sell the auto WRX and buy a 04-05 manual WRX.

If any of u guys are interested, its a 02 auto stock WRX with only 106,000 miles

Super Moderator Flat 4 Ninja Wrx07's Avatar
    Up pipe, down pipe tune will yield the most results.

So I'm kinda new to the performance game. I know a little bit about what everything does but really I just love driving my wrx. I recently just did a full turbo back exhaust and was gonna put on a intake but reading and doing research it really looks like I'm at the point where I should get a tune. I have a 2007 everything stock but the parts I mentioned what type of tune should I be looking for and what is the typical price I had someone quote me $500 is that a lot or about right?

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Neogixxer View Post
    Thanks for the helpful info guys, I'm definitely looking for small mods for now like the intake, exhaust, and tune. SubimashinTime ill take you up on your friends tune in the future. I recently finish supercharging my Z with all the bells and whistles.

Honestly I'm kind of digging the WRX a little more at this point but not to thrilled about the whole automatic thing. Ill probably sell the auto WRX and buy a 04-05 manual WRX.

If any of u guys are interested, its a 02 auto stock WRX with only 106,000 miles
    We buy cars, if you want to get a hold of Chad 702-495-2137, he can help put a value on the WRX, that we would offer. See if it fits with what you would like to get for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riseofjeffjeffy View Post
    So I'm kinda new to the performance game. I know a little bit about what everything does but really I just love driving my wrx. I recently just did a full turbo back exhaust and was gonna put on a intake but reading and doing research it really looks like I'm at the point where I should get a tune. I have a 2007 everything stock but the parts I mentioned what type of tune should I be looking for and what is the typical price I had someone quote me $500 is that a lot or about right?
    Depends on who is charging the $500. If it is Church, $500 is well worth it, if it is somebody who doesn't know what they're doing, that's too much. Look at a tune this way, it is insurance. If you have a good tune on your car, for the mods you have, what is cheaper $500 for a good tune, or thousands of dollars to rebuild your motor?

It was I think devin at all access that quoted me the $500 does anyone know his work?