Thread: semi technical question...car we are thinking of buying.

Fort Member

semi technical question...car we are thinking of buying.

We are looking for a beater hybrid to use for a commuter car for me to drive around town, and we found this old 2002 Prius. We are looking at this Prius :

http://merced.craigslist.org/cto/5222382183.html

We test drove it, the batteries we are told were just replaced. My main worry is if the engine has been maintained with regular oil changes at least. We are told the water pump was replaced. Cosmetically the car looks fine, when I drove it, felt smooth. Engine bay looks clean, but anyone can clean an engine bay, when what matters is the internals. Car KBBs for 2300, but I assume that means without having a new hybrid battery? We are thinking about offering 5k, but not sure if we need to do any other due diligence first, such as taking the car for a 3rd party inspection? Let me know what you think!

Mike

If the batteries were replaced they should have paperwork for it. A 3rd party inspection would be your best bet on something like this.

Toyota's of of that time are extremely reliable, in general. I didn't even know there was a prior Prius from the 2007ish ones. A 3rd party inspection tends to be pointless IMO. All you can really do is check compression and check for leaks. You can check the fluids for funky colors. Test drive will hopefully reveal engine or transmission issues. Do your best to get it to operating temps. Also do a lock to lock set of turns - testing wheel bearings. Of course look under the car for rust or damage - very important. May as well take a cheapo odb2 reader and check for codes. Quick and easy. Lastly just check all of the doors and locks and bits. If anything does not work, then you can ask for less money and fix it.

You know...if you don't know how or don't have the equipment to do these tests, a 3rd party inspection which at least includes these might be useful for you.