Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel - Tune Questions

Fuel - Tune Questions

Hey guys, Im fairly new to the site so I apologize if this topic has been touched on already. My question is this, I just purchased my Cobb AP + TBE + CAI + TGV and EBCS for my 2015 WRX none of them have been installed yet. I was wondering if I need to upgrade my fuel pump or if the stock one can handle stage 2. Also, I value reliability over power (its my DD) so is there any other upgrades you guys can rec. so my car can run Stage 2 as safe as possible. I got my J-Pipe with a wideband bung but I was reading that its not really needed because our cars already come with a wideband from the factory, is there any truth to this? Last question, after I install the upgrades will I be able to drive it down to the tuner or should I have it towed ( I think it will be fine as long as I don't hit boost and I use a OTS Cobb map for the drive down). Sry for all the questions guys but I love my car and I want to cover my ass. Also if you guys have any recs for a good pro tune Im all ears, so far I'm leaning toward Devin at All Access just because he is local (I can reach him whenever) and because I have heard great things about his tunes. I almost went with Church but I don't know if him being in town for such a short amount of time will be an issue.
    Last edited by Xensity; 11-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xensity View Post
    Hey guys, Im fairly new to the site so I apologize if this topic has been touched on already. My question is this, I just purchased my Cobb AP + TBE + CAI + TGV and EBCS for my 2015 WRX none of them have been installed yet. I was wondering if I need to upgrade my fuel pump or if the stock one can handle stage 2. Also, I value reliability over power (its my DD) so is there any other upgrades you guys can rec. so my car can run Stage 2 as safe as possible. I got my J-Pipe with a wideband bung but I was reading that its not really needed because our cars already come with a wideband from the factory, is there any truth to this? Last question, after I install the upgrades will I be able to drive it down to the tuner or should I have it towed ( I think it will be fine as long as I don't hit boost and I use a OTS Cobb map for the drive down). Sry for all the questions guys but I love my car and I want to cover my ass. Also if you guys have any recs for a good pro tune Im all ears, so far I'm leaning toward Devin at All Access just because he is local (I can reach him whenever) and because I have heard great things about his tunes. I almost went with Church but I don't know if him being in town for such a short amount of time will be an issue.
    Hey there. It's normal to be nervous about your car. Don't worry about it. Subaru's are stout machines, but can be touchy, especially with new parts. But as long as your respect the car, you'll be fine. Anyway, to answer some of your questions:

My question is this, I just purchased my Cobb AP + TBE + CAI + TGV and EBCS for my 2015 WRX none of them have been installed yet. I was wondering if I need to upgrade my fuel pump or if the stock one can handle stage 2.
    Your stock fuel pump can handle "stage 2". None of your modifications are increasing the need for fuel flow by any significant margin, so the stock pump is fine.

Also, I value reliability over power (its my DD) so is there any other upgrades you guys can rec. so my car can run Stage 2 as safe as possible. I got my J-Pipe with a wideband bung but I was reading that its not really needed because our cars already come with a wideband from the factory, is there any truth to this?
    Well, for a little extra power, and some more control to tuning, thus making it more reliable and safer, I would recomend either a new boost control solenoid or electronic boost controller. This will give you a little extra umph, and allow your tuner to smooth out your power band even more. As for the wideband on a J-pipe. First I don't know what a "J-pipe" is. The first bit that comes to mind is the turbo inlet, and I do not know why you would have a wide band on a turbo inlet. The only exhaust piece I can think of *kind of* shaped like a J is the up pipe. And again, that's too close for a wide band, it should be mounted in the downpipe. And no, our cars do not come with a factory wide band. Or at least mine didn't. I'm admitedly stupid when it comes to the features of the latest models. However, I doubt the factory puts widebands in their cars. Though it would be cool if they did.

And on that note, gauges tell you a lot about your car. I would recommend putting in all sorts of gauges so you can see how your car is doing. Boost, Wideband, Oil press, EGT... etc.. That way if you DO have a problem, you can react to it, instead of missing it or (worse) ignoring it.

Last question, after I install the upgrades will I be able to drive it down to the tuner or should I have it towed ( I think it will be fine as long as I don't hit boost and I use a OTS Cobb map for the drive down).
    You'll be fine if you're careful. Just go real slow, no boost, and who cares if the people behind you honk and yell. Just keep it in vacuum. Tow it if you're paranoid, but I've driven my car more modified than yours over 80 miles on a stock tune. I didn't blow anything up.

Also if you guys have any recs for a good pro tune Im all ears, so far I'm leaning toward Devin at All Access just because he is local (I can reach him whenever) and because I have heard great things about his tunes.
    Both have great reps. Depends who you like and makes you feel more comofortable. Mostly it's been Devin these days as he's a lot easier to reach than Shawn. But you can't deny his great tunes he's thrown down on some crazy builds. Entirely your call and both are likely to leave you happy.

Most of all, have fun dude.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    First I don't know what a "J-pipe" is.
    Sarge - A j pipe is the new down pipe on the FA motors.

Question for Subaru of Las Vegas, if I go Stage 1 on an Cobb Access Port, would that void my warranty?
    Thanks for the answer.

Well i'll be. Thanks Chris, guess I'll have to do some reading up on the FA's.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by COLIGULA View Post
    Question for Subaru of Las Vegas, if I go Stage 1 on an Cobb Access Port, would that void my warranty?
    Thanks for the answer.
    That all depends on why the warranty would need to be called into use. If SOA engineers can *prove* the tune caused the failure, yes, it would. If they can't, it shouldn't. Each case is different, so I am hesitant to give you a 100% definitive answer, as we are not the ones determining warranty coverage, or denial. It's always safer to not modify/tune a car whilst wishing to retain warranty... but where's the fun in that?

Modified & driven properly, Subarus are stout cars.

* Spoken by someone who modded their 07 WRX by 15,000 miles, it is over 105,000 miles now, and have only had parts failures due to the abuse I put that wagon through.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge View Post
    Well i'll be. Thanks Chris, guess I'll have to do some reading up on the FA's.
    Anytime, Nick! Glad to be able to help spread some Subie Knowledge.

DatLife

Flat 4 Ninja
    ^ or putting diesel into your car

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by xxwantsasubie View Post
    ^ or putting diesel into your car
    Fortunately, with the Subaru fuel system, the car won't start/run with Diesel. At least, the 05 that it happened to (thanks fuel delivery driver), didn't start/run. The internals were all nice and clean, diesel is a great cleaner haha

Hey guys thanks for the responses, @Sarge - Sry I used shorthand on the parts list, but I actually did pick up an electronic boost control solenoid made by grimmspeed. I have received all my parts except my Mid pipe, and because my turbo back exhaust is all Nameless that means I will have to wait a couple weeks to get it. Can't tell you guys how hard it is to sit and look at these parts everyday and not be able to install any of them lol. I wonder tho.. From what I've read the mid pipe doesn't make much of a difference in power. Do you guys think installing everything but the mid pipe and getting tuned would be a bad idea? Feels like it might be a bad idea lol. I'm just impatient lol. I have called All Access and emailed Deven and have not received a response. Does anyone have a different number I might be able to reach him at. Im really curious as to how far out he is booked.

I haven't a clue. I did facebook message him a few times and he responded but I feel his client base is growing and his free time is shrinking. I'd just keep trying and not get discouraged if he doesn't answer.

So, since it appears we're dealing with a newer Subaru, I don't know how well I can respond to your question about a midpipe, but if it does increase the overall diameter of the exhaust, I would wait until you have the whole thing installed before tuning. You don't want to go large, to small, to large, or small large large, or however it is. You are changing the velocity of airflow and back pressure, which could affect the quality of your tune.

I hear you though on parts though. I've got a whole new suspension set up that has been collecting dust in my garage. I just don't have any damn time.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)