Thread: 99-2011 - 2.5i NA SOHC - Head Gasket problem

99-2011 - 2.5i NA SOHC - Head Gasket problem

I just recently took the 09 leg to Sub dealer.
    They proceeded to tell me I needed to replace my head gaskets along with re-surfacing my heads.

to say the least, IM PISSED

The car only has 70,000 miles, well maintained

Subaru claims they fixed the issue, but obviously didnt. I dont understand how a huge company can let something so sub par out of the there manufacturing facilities.
    I feel that this should be a recall of sorts

And now Im at a cross road. Do I dump the car (since this issue will proceed again in 60,000 miles) or take the negative equity and buy something else.
    I feel subaru should be responsible for this...

Enough of my ranting
    I found this article; https://allwheeldriveauto.com/subaru...ained-part-ii/

It explained a lot and now im looking for find a good subaru shop that wont screw me and make sure the repair is done correctly
    I also want to buy the six star head gasket kit. (anyone else try this?)

Im looking for any advice, Even possibly an easy engine swap
    anything is helpful

Thanks

Pleiades Scholar Flat 4 Ninja sarge's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck. What happened? Just a head gasket leak? I can't really get an understanding of what exactly happened other than the dealership wants to replace gaskets and resurface the heads. What is prompting them to want to do a HG replacement? Is your oil milky from coolant or something else?
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)
    (Reserved for future car(s))

I guess I made the first post unclear.
    I just want advice on what I should do,
    how should I proceed with the issue?

My guess is to find an independent subaru shop that will do the repair right.
    Or should I just engine swap with an engine that doesnt have this issue?
    Or should I just dump the car and buy another one?

they found it when inspecting the car. It was wet on the top and bottom of the engine. And from the article it stated there is a pad (or diaper) that catches most of the leaks, once removed you can see how bad the leak is. I havent noticed anything with the coolant being a funny color, or any smoke.
    I would definitely like a second opinion.

Does anyone know of a good mechanic

Mori at Uehara Motowerks does all the work I wont/cant do. I will say, he is a little slow at times, but he gets the job done right. 702-501-6543 is Mori's number.

The reason I'm asking is because I don't trust other mechanics, and I have had a bad experience with SOLV and their mechanics. Not saying ALL of them are bad, just the one who looked at my car, really ticked me off. Here's my story, and then I'll proceed to address your concerns:

I swapped my timing belt, water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses. The car then was overheating really badly. I was concerned as it was my first t-belt change I'd done before, and I took to solv to have a professional look. They told me my head gasket was bad. Did some test that said there were contaminants in the fluid. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I do work on cars and it seemed like complete bullshit. I paid for them to flush the radiator and change out the thermostat. Still was overheating. So I said screw it, took it home and diagnosed it myself. Come to find out the thermostat HADNT been changed, as I paid for. How do I know? Because I skimped out and bought a duralast t-stat when I did my initial timing belt change and it was still in there. I bought an OEM stat, put it together, and the overheating went away. So basically I paid them to do nothing. And that's why I don't let others tell me what's wrong with my car.

Now. As for you, I am not familiar with the SOHC EJ, but basically what it sounds like is they are saying your water jackets are leaking OUT. Generally a leaky gasket happens from the inside, and then oil and water begin to mix. Hence the milky appearance of engine oil, or burning radiator fluid (white smoke) coming from the exhaust. But you're just wet ON the engine? Sounds like a leak of something, but I wouldn't say HG necessarily. I'd be happy to help at least look at it, but my schedule is pretty messed up and I am piecing together my car right now, so I don't have a lot of time.

04STi mentioned Mori. I think he's a good guy. IMO, he charges a lot, though, so I am unsure if you want to go that route if budget is a concern. I would say Darin @ Route69 is probably the cheapest Subaru mechanic in town, and he is well versed in many Subaru motors.

Hope you can get it resolved quickly and affordably, dude.
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)

Also, what symptoms prompted you to take it to the dealer? Were you overheating? Smoking? CEL?
    '06 STi
    '79 BRAT (x2)

Crappy story... Sorry to hear all the trouble.

There was no particular reason I took it. Ever since I bought it I had never taken it to the dealer. So I want them to give it a good look.
    I went and took the car to Darin at route 69 racing. He is a great guy. I trust him. And he tested if the headgaskets were blown and sure enough it came back positive. I haven't seen any white smoke or milky oil though. So maybe it just started. I'm not really sure. I too work on cars but not a professional. I sure do appreciate the advice and insight.